Mental Health News Roundup
Podcast hosted weekly by Dr. Ethan Eisen & David Friedman
Episode 9: Keeping our Communities Safe
Special Guest: Shana Aaronson, Director of Magen
July 9, 2020
LINKS FROM EPISODE 9
Malka Leifer’s lawyers are appealing the decision that she is fit to stand trial
Is chemical castration a good idea?
Episode 7: Alcoholism and Addiction
June 18, 2020
Links from Episode 7
- Alcohol use has gone up, despite what some people report about themselves
- Opioid deaths have gone up in many places, like Canada, Chicago, Baltimore
- Pharmacies were looted for their pain killers and anxiety medications.
Episode 6: Challenges to Inclusion
June 11, 2020
Links from Episode 6
- Protesters prioritized public protest over coronavirus lockdowns, with some support from public health officials.
- Defining social exclusion and its impact on mental health.
- Excluding older adults can have a profound impact on their emotional well-being.
- Including women in Orthodox synagogues with limited capacity.
Episode 5: Race and Mental Health
Special Guest: Dr. Danielle Busby
June 4, 2020
Links from Episode 5
- Conversation with Dr. Danielle Busby, co-founder of Black Mental Health and
Assistant Professor at Baylor College of Medicine
- Racial disparities in the impact of coronavirus may be related to factors related to underlying health issues.
- Poverty makes people more vulnerable to infection.
- Surgeon General directs controversial comments to Black communities.
- Killing of George Floyd.
- Synagogues are targeted across North America, including Los Angeles, Montreal, and Virginia.
Episode 4: Relationships
Special Guest: Avital Levin
May 21, 2020
LINKS FROM EPISODE 4
- Conversation with Avital Levin, Director of Education at Shalom Task Force
- Dating is very different in these times, but some are being very innovative.
- Coronavirus effects causing strain in relationships at home.
- Newlyweds are finding that their experiences are very different than they expected, for better or worse.
- People in abusive relationships may be having a particularly difficult time during coronavirus.
Episode 3: Employment and the Economy
May 14, 2020
Links from Episode 3
- Tough economic data for USA and Israel.
- Just because the government says you can reopen, that doesn’t mean everyone will participate.
- Pandemics are also driven by psychological or social
- Cognitive “attribution styles” can affect depression for people who are unemployed.
- Even Prince Harry is feeling the effects of not working.
- Some positive coping skills can be helpful for people facing unemployment.
- Negative coping skills, like substance use, is also a challenge for some people.
- Speaking with kids about unemployment
Episode 2: Mental Health in the Medical Field
Special Guest: Dr. Abby Bienenfeld
May 7, 2020
Links from Episode 2
- Conversation with Dr. Abby Bienenfeld, expert in emergency medicine
- Israeli hospitals are at the cutting edge of addressing some patient concerns.
- Concern that people are staying away from hospitals for non-coronavirus emergencies.
- Families of medical staff making sacrifices.
- What doctors think when the public violates guidelines
- Medical professionals feeling the pressure